Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Broken....

There is no other word that can describe how we are feeling. And to be totally honest, I have been dreading this post. Not because I'm not certain that what we are doing is what God is calling us to do, but because of two main reasons.
One, there are people in my life who seem to think that if I make any changes, it means I am wishy washy, or somehow uncertain. Let me assure you this is NOT the case. We believe that God has used various paths in order to soften our hearts and prepare us for his ultimate plan for us. Had he just laid this out the table a few months ago, we probably would have walked away and said, NO WAY God, that is way to scary for us! So I want to make sure you all understand that we are excited to be on this path, and that we have a great sense of peace, knowing that we are EXACTLY where God wants us. And how do I know we are? Because for the first time in this entire process, I am scared, uncertain, and unable to rely on myself, I NEED Him. We are relying on him 100%, which is what he has wanted all along.
The second reason, is simply not having the words. I don't want this blog to become a place where I share nothing but horrible images, photos, and stories. But how do I share the how and why God broke our hearts for this place, without sharing the horrible atrocities that are plaguing this country?
I've decided the most appropriate way to do this, is to share a small amount of information, and then I will link you to more information if you want to know more. I think that is fair.

So I guess, by now, you are wanting to know what kind of changes we are making. We are still adopting from Africa, however we are switching countries. God has literally shattered our hearts for the people of the DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo). It is the second poorest country in the world, and the Eastern Congo is widely known as the worst place on earth to be a woman. Quite a statement right?

"Sexual violence is pandemic: more than 400,000 women were raped by a stranger in one year alone (2006-2007), a time when many experts referred to the country as “post conflict” or being “relatively stable.”

A peace process was started in 2003, however that has not stopped the extremist groups such as the Lord's Resistance Army, from continuing to burn down villages, mutilating and torturing men, women and children. The things our eyes have been opened to are honestly too horrible to even type here. I encourage you to follow some of the links at the end of the post if you'd like to learn more, but I will not write about them specifically here.
A few days ago, I found myself begging and pleading with God to close my eyes. I wanted nothing more than to run upstairs, jump in my bed, and pull the covers over head....sleep it off....pretend I had no clue.
And then it hit me, I love my children more than anything in this entire world, there is NOTHING I wouldn't do for them. Now, take that love and multiply it by a million, that is the love that God has for us, His children. I can't even imaging how his heart must be breaking, seeing these horrible crimes against humanity happening to HIS children.

I'm only one. But still, I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.
-Edward Everett Hale 

So our adoption journey is taking a slight turn, to the heart of Africa, a place rich in natural resources, with beautiful people, in need of help. We are working on other ways we might be able to help as well and I will definitely keep you posted in case you'd like to help as well. 
I do know that you can participant in the Run For Congo Women, if there is one in your area, or you can organize one yourself :) 

Alright, here are the sites and videos I recommend for more info on DRC.

(I know, another celebrity visits Africa, but I believe he did a great reporting job)
This one really got me...... I encourage you to watch her video....

I think I'll leave you with all that information for now... please know this decision was prayerfully made, and it in no way diminishes how we feel about Ethiopia, however, our prayer has always been for God to show us where we could meet the greatest need, and he showed us, BIG time!

We can't wait to share every step of this journey with you, and continue to ask for your prayers and support.




Blessings,
Angela




2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you, sis. And I'm just loving watching what God is doing in your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, just linked to you from 1+1+1=1. My husband has an adopted brother and sister from the DRC, though at the time it was still Zaire (my bro and sis in law are grown now). I think my mother in law may have done one of the first adoptions ever from there. Cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete